Monday, August 18, 2008

Mark Wahlberg, Stop Stalking Me!

OK, maybe the title sounded funnier in my head. There IS a story behind this.

Last October, for Stacey's birthday, we (we being me, Dave, Stacey and Chip) all went to the Four Season in Beverly Hills for brunch. This was supposed to be the best brunch in the city, and it really was. Rooms of food. A low to the ground kid's table with macaroni and cheese, small pizza slices, pb&j with the crust cut off cut like tea sandwiches, cupcakes - the works. For the grown-ups there was sushi, shrimp, salmon, mahi mahi, dim sum, eggs benedict, waffles with chocolate sprinkles, fruit, salads, cheeses (yum, cheeses!), omelettes, syrup from a beautiful silver decanter, and tables of desserts. We arrived at 11am, and stayed for about 2 hours.

As I said, there are rooms of food. Our table was in the very back of the restaurant, nestled between 2 windows. When we were finally done, we strode out through the rooms of food to the entrance. While going past the kid's food table, I saw a little boy who was about 2 1/2 or 3 years old. I'm all about the kids, so I looked down and smiled and waved at him. Then I noticed someone I assumed to be his father right behind him as I was raising my eyes back to normal height so I could continue my exit. Our eyes met and he said, "hi" so I said "hi" and continued walking. Something told me I should know who he was, but I kind of dismissed it.

From behind I feel The Boy's hand clamp down on my shoulder and spin me around. "Mark Wahlberg!" he said. "Oh, that's who that was. I thought I he looked familiar, but I couldn't think of who it was." Please remember that all of this happened in the space of about 4 seconds. Given a chance to collect my thoughts, I certainly would have processed who this nice gentleman was.

So we left, thinking it was a cute story. I was more concerned about how absolutely stuffed I was and how I was going to stay awake driving everyone home.

Flash forward to yesterday, when The Boy and I went back to The Four Seasons for brunch (this time to celebrate our anniversary). We get seated in the same room (different table). On our way to gather our first plates of food, I make a comment as we pass the kid's table, "mmm...I just want the food on the kid's table." This time I feel just a tap on my arm, turn around and The Boy says, "Mark Wahlberg". I said, "again?" as I peeked over his shoulder. This time Mark was with his daughter (I'm guessing it's his daughter) of about 5 helping her load up her plate with goodies. More interested in food than celebrities, I just kind of shook my head and said, "too funny" while thinking how nice it is that he is the one with his kids instead of handing them off onto someone else to take care of.

After we sat down, we mused on whether Mr. Wahlberg has a standing brunch reservation or if he might just be living at the hotel when he's in town. I figured that if he has kids, he probably doesn't live in the hotel, but what do I know? It's not my business. Just random chitchat as we ate. Whatever the reason, he seems like a pleasant person and a doting father.

But if I see him there again the next time we go to brunch, I might have to explain to him that I'm with The Boy and let him down gently. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He just wants to meet us and hasn't gotten up the nerve yet to come over to our table...next time! ;)