Friday, August 15, 2008

Anniversaries, Expectations, and The Cold, Hard Truth

It took me starting a blog to figure out exactly how pathetic my life really is. I love reading other people's blogs - be they witty, profound, or just plain dorky. However, my life does not exactly merit "must read" status. What did I do this week? Hmm...I worked. Went to the gym a couple times. Had a couple of arguments with The Boy. Did laundry. Got various parts of my person waxed. Yeah, good times.

Today is mine and The Boy's anniversary. Sometimes I'm loathe to call it an anniversary because the connotation (especially at my age) is that it's a wedding anniversary. Which, of course, it's not. Four years ago today (on a Sunday) we met at Coldstone in Sherman Oaks for ice cream. And sat on the patio for hours and talked. Three dates later I pulled the "we're just friends, right?" line on him because he hadn't bothered to even try to kiss me (date 3 is supposed to be the sex date, and I hadn't even merited a liplock). He was befuddled, stammered something into the phone and rectified the situation the next evening. Some people are horrified at that story, but seriously - it was either be blunt, or just not see him again on the assumption that "he just wasn't that into me." This is why I always vote for saying what you thinking and asking for information you don't have.

We're going to the Four Seasons for brunch on Sunday to celebrate (because I love brunch and would much rather eat that than dinner). I'm waiting to see if any flower deliveries show up at my office today. Not that I'm expecting one, but it's his MO. It would also be fitting because the offices on my floor will be closed 11:30 to 2:00 and I imagine that's when Mr. Flower Delivery Guy would drop by. Of course, by voicing this it means he hasn't thought about flowers at all. Which is fine. They're lovely, I like them, but I don't expect them.

Maybe something unexpected will happen this weekend and I'll have something to write about. No, not an engagement - the progression is: Staff job for The Boy -> Live Together -> Proposal -> Wedding at Disneyworld. Since we have no control over Step 1, there's no telling when subsequent steps will happen. By something unexpected I mean like winning the lottery. Or finally selling Mom's trailer. Or tripping and breaking my ankle.

No comments: