Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This and Tat

So, the subject of tattoos has been coming up in my life recently. Friends are getting them, or thinking about getting them, and trying to convince me to join in:

"The guy who did mine is really cute and single." (Because I want to get a lifelong brand on the outside chance that a guy will flirt with me for an hour and then promptly forget I exist?)

"You'll have it for the rest of your life." (Um, NOT a selling point with me - I can't think of anything I loved 20 years ago that I still love now, including people).

"If I have to, you have to." (Said to me by a friend who has to get "love dots" tattooed as part of her radiation treatments. And yes, she'll be fine.)

There are some tattoos that I can really get behind and understand why people get them. I've been with friends who have gotten them, while they're getting them, and I understand and respect their reasons. I just can't do it. I'm not afraid - I could take the pain. But I guess I feel like I'm in this constant state of change, and to get a tattoo locks me into one point in time. I think that's what scares me the most.

If I ever did get a tattoo, which I won't, it would be a song lyric. Which one? By whom? Not sure. I know that the go to answer should be Barenaked Ladies, but I'm not so sure. And the fact that I can't decide one off the top of my head reinforces the fact that nothing is important enough for me to keep on my body forever.

Now that I've written this, I'll end up with one inside of a week. Watch. Like I said, my life is in a constant state of change.

No comments: